Say No to Gas!
Global Aktion - Mennesker & miljø før profit
Indsatsen vedrører følgende verdensmål:
- Mål 1: Afskaf fattigdom
- Mål 3: Sundhed og trivsel
- Mål 6: Rent vand og sanitet
- Mål 7: Bæredygtig energi
- Mål 8:Anstændige jobs og økonomisk vækst
- Mål 9: Industri, innovation og infrastruktur
- Mål 10: Mindre ulighed
- Mål 11: Bæredygtige byer og lokalsamfund
- Mål 12: Ansvarligt forbrug og produktion
- Mål 13: Klimaindsats
- Mål 16: Fred, retfærdighed og stærke institutioner
- Mål 17: Partnerskaber for handling
Indsatsen foregår i følgende lande:
- JA! Justiça Ambiental - Friends of the Earth Mozambique
Overordnede mål :
Local communities in Cabo Delgado are mobilised and empowered to stand up to the gas extraction industry, and to ensure that they are properly compensated. The gas industry and its investors are pressured to stop or delay their projects. If the projects do continue, they do so with respect for human rights and the environment.
Umiddelbare mål :
1. The local communities in the Cabo Delgado Province are empowered and provided with the tools necessary to defend their human and legal rights, and to strengthen their democratic community structures. 2. JA! has established itself as a watchdog through systematic and continuous monitoring together with the communities affected in Cabo Delgado. 3. The campaign 'Say No to Gas!' is significantly pressuring central actors in the gas industry (companies, investors, and governments of the companies involved) and Danish pension funds to stop a second wave of projects and investments and to ensure that the present companies do not harm the environment and the local communities.
Primary target groups: 1. The communities of Milamba, Quitupo, Senga, Bara Barane, Maganja, Ngonji, Macala, Mangala, Ncalanga, and Monjane. (Totalling to more than 2500 families). 2. Involved gas industry players (corporations and contracotrs: Total, Eni, Exxon Mobil, Andarko, etc.) Secondary target groups: 3. International Media 4. International civil society, networks, activists, and local/international research groups 5. Government officials in the countries of company headquarters (of target group 2)
The gas rush in the Cabo Delgado Province in Mozambique has resulted in numerous human rights violations for the local communities living in the area. 556 families from the villages of Milamba and Quitupo have been forcefully removed without appropriate compensation, which has severe implications for their livelihoods. A previous intervention carried out by Global Aktion (GA) and Justiça Ambiental (JA!) allowed for the development of a knowledge base about the impacts of the gas projects in Cabo Delgado thus far, and the need for local capacity building and mobilisation in the face of exploitation by transnational corporations. This intervention will thus employ a new strategy, focusing on capacity building of affected communities, establishing JA! as a watchdog in the region, and creating a global campaign to put pressure on the gas companies and their investors to cease their operations and respect the legal and human rights of local communities.