School girls and women-patient driven prevention and advocacy for improved reproductive health NCDs in Tanzania
Indsatsen vedrører følgende verdensmål:
- Mål 3: Sundhed og trivsel
- Mål 5: Ligestilling mellem kønnene
- Mål 16: Fred, retfærdighed og stærke institutioner
- Mål 17: Partnerskaber for handling
Indsatsen foregår i følgende lande:
- Tanzania NCD Alliance
Overordnede mål :
To use the window of opportunity in the area of reproductive health (RH) to enhance the integration of non-communicable disease (NCD) policies in health programmes.
Umiddelbare mål :
1. To create awareness about NCDs in RH in cooperation with young girls and former patients. The involvement of these groups is crucial, because they form part of the risk group for developing RH NCDs. It is vital for the project’s local ownership to have the young girls and the women as the driving force for advocacy towards their peers. 2. To advocate at macro level towards authorities and donors working with RH to integrate NCDs into their activities. Some of the advocacy work will be carried out jointly with Z-NCDA, but specific advocacy and collaboration with authorities, in particular with MoHCDEC will also be crucial in order to anchor the message in a political context. 3. To build organisational capacity in TANCDA that will support its role as a strong advocate and representative for people living with or affected by NCDs. TANCDA is catalyst and the key organiser of this project, and the experience gained will be instrumental for future activities. The joint activities with Z-NCDA will also allow for greater inter-organisational capacity building and cooperation between the two alliances.
• 30 secondary school girls around 14 years • 16 women who have been affected by NCDs in relation to RH • Donors supporting RH • 15-20 board members, including the project manager
Current efforts in the area of reproductive health (RH) constitute a strategic entry point for accelerating focus on prevention and control of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs). The overarching objective of the intervention is to use the window of opportunity to enhance the integration of NCD policies in RH programmes. The project aims at building capacity in Tanzania Non-Communicable Disease Alliance (TANCDA) by engaging and empowering secondary school girls and women affected by or in the risk group for developing RH NCDs. Through education about healthy living, motherhood and advocacy, TANCDA will support young girls and women to become future advocates for awareness creation about NCDs in RH and ultimately work for integrating NCDs in RH awareness at large. The project furthermore envisions collaboration with Zanzibar NCD Alliance to enhance inter-organizational synergies and create a platform for knowledge sharing that will allow for exploring the area of RH more thoroughly.